D&C Monthly Recipe - Ginger Sponge Cake
Ginger Sponge Cake
- 200g/7oz self-raising flour
- 200g/7oz sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 55g/2oz margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp golden syrup
- 240ml/9fl oz hot water
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. Grease and line a 28x18cm/11x7in baking tin with baking paper. Mix the flour, sugar, ginger and bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub the margarine in until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the beaten egg, syrup and hot water and mix well with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin or use the petite loaf pans and bake in the middle of the oven for 35–40 minutes, or until golden-brown and the top is springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin. Once cool, cut into squares.
- Add extra ginger if you like your ginger cake quite spicy
- I like to use Petite Loaf pans as I can freeze a few and bring them out when I have unexpected visits from friends & family
- Serve with Greek Yogurt to beautifully cut through the ginger