D&C Recipes - Valentines Day Special, Red-Velvet Heart Cake
Red-Velvet Heart Cake
- 2 ½ Cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons liquid red food coloring
- 1 pound cream cheese room temp.
- 8 ounces unsalted butter room temp.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spray one 8-inch round pan and one 8-inch square pan with pan spray and line with parchment paper. Spray the parchment and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the sugar and salt to the flour mixture and whisk together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, vinegar, vanilla, and red food coloring together with a whisk. Add the flour mixture to the liquid ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out of the center of the cakes cleanly or the cake springs back when gently pressed on.
- Let the cakes cool for 10-15 minutes before turning them out on a cooling rack to finish cooling. While the cake cools, prepare the cream cheese frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer cream the butter and cream cheese together until thoroughly mixed and creamy.
- Add the vanilla extract and beat to combine. You may need to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to be sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix slowly until incorporated. Gradually increase the speed and beat until fluffy.