D & C Recipes - Old Fashioned Apple Pie
Old Fashioned Apple Pie
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp water
- 4-5 apples, peeled and sliced thinly
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 Tbsp toasted pine nuts(or caramelized walnuts)
- 1 egg, whisked lightly
- 2 tsp extra sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat an oven to 180C. Lightly grease a 23cm pie tin.
- Make the pastry. Place flour, sugar and butter in a food processor. Whizz until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and 1 tablespoon water. Whizz to form the dough. If needed add the remaining tablespoon of water.
- Roll out ¾ of the dough on a lightly floured bench and line pie tin.
- For the filling: place apple, lemon, sugar and pinenuts in a large bowl and toss to combine well.
- Layer the apples in the pie shell in a circular shape. Use them all, as they will shrink when they cook. Make a lattice with the remaining pastry and carefully place over the apples. Trim the edges. Brush the top with egg and sprinkle over the caster sugar.
- Bake for 50 minutes until golden and the apple is softened. Stick a knife in to test. Remove and cool slightly.
- Serve with clotted cream or ice cream.