D&C Recipes - Glazed Lemon Ricotta Poppyseed Cakes
Glazed Lemon Ricotta Poppyseed Cakes
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup avocado oil (or use melted coconut oil)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest + 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Line 10-12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the ricotta, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla, lemon zest, and poppy seeds. Mix until fully combined.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin tins or use mini loaf pans. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until just set. Remove and use a toothpick to poke a few holes in each cake.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Add the butter to a saucepan set over medium heat. Allow the butter to brown lightly until it smells toasted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Whisk in the honey, and lemon juice. Pour the glazes over the warm cakes/muffins. Top with extra poppy seeds, if desired.